Buy the infinix hot online at konga.com

Friday 11 July 2014

Orezi- 'Politics is killing Nigerian music industry'

It is no news that a crop of young, talented singers are fast taking over the Nigerian music landscape. Esegine Allen, popularly known as Orezi, who embraced the limelight with the hit single entitled Rihanna in 2013, is one of them. Following the success of the track, he has been on a steady rise and followed through with the singles, YouGarrit and Shoki.

Although he began singing professionally in 2009, the Urban and Regional Planning graduate of the University of Lagos decided to embrace a career in music by singing with popular music producer, Dr. Fabz.
Despite enjoying releasing singles that have earned him a large following, the singer appears to be in no hurry to release an album just yet. The general lull in album sales, fuelled by activities of pirates and the growing popularity of the Internet and social media, has led many artistes to jostle for endorsement deals, especially in a bid to keep up with their ‘jet set’ lifestyle.


While nothing gladdens the heart of any artiste as much as patronage, either through sales or a simple acknowledgement, Orezi shares his views with E.Punch saying, “In Nigeria, artistes do not make money from albums. This is due to the fact that it involves making arrangement with marketers for a pay-off or percentage of proceeds from the album sales.   Most Nigerian artistes usually settle for a pay off   that may not exceed N5m at most. An album costs more than N5m to produce.   But albums increase acceptance, popularity and fan base, which is where the money comes from.”

“Some people always take sides with certain artistes because they are their favourites. Whatever it is that the other artiste does or merits, he or she will not get it because he or she isn’t   favoured. Politics is big and killing the Nigerian music industry.”

Like many other singers who fall into the same category it is indeed a tough call and rocky journey to super stardom with the attendant issues in tow.


“Before now, I used to think I deserve more than what I am getting since I have put in a lot of work and I have the best videos out there. Although I know some people who came after me and they are more famous than me, I still believe God’s time is the best. The music industry in Nigeria has reached a point where everyone has a destination. As long as one does not allow the fame of others to be a source of concern, one will excel. Sometimes, I feel depressed when I think I have been around for a while and I am yet to get to achieve my goal.”

The singer who is visibly elated that You-Tube Nation listed his Rihanna as one of the eight most incredible videos in the world, also talks about the botched record deal between himself and Davido

“It was not favorable to me at the time. We decided not to do it at the time because we were both neck-deep in our careers.It was not perfect at that time. Davido was on tour and I was doing my own thing and had other offers I thought was better. I have no regrets about not signing on to Davido’s label. We are friends and not rivals. I don’t see anyone as a competition or a rival. I wake up every morning thinking of how I can be number one.


No comments:

Post a Comment